Fact Sheet Series 2004 - Secondary and Technical Education
The OVAE Fact Sheet Series highlights efforts currently underway at the Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) to support the principles of the President's No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. The principle(s) supported by this effort are:
- Increase Accountability and Academic Achievement
- Increase Options and Involvement for Parents and Students
- Focus on What Works
Strong instructional programs to improve immigrants' English language proficiency are critical. Due to the rapid influx of immigrants that 22 states are experiencing, there is a need to establish an infrastructure to serve adult English language learners particularly in these states. The Center for Adult English Language Acquisition will help states establish this infrastructure.
The purpose of the center is to build the capacity of states with emerging English as a second language (ESL) populations to provide systematic training and effective, on going technical assistance to teachers and administrators in adult English language acquisition programs. The center also will provide and disseminate research-based resources and successful practices at the national level for more effective adult English language acquisition instruction.
Outcomes and Products
- Research-based resources on effective adult ESL instruction, including a toolkit of training materials for professional developers
- Training to teams of state staff responsible for providing professional development in the area of ESL
- Effective, systematic, and on going technical assistance to state staff responsible for providing professional development
- An adult English language acquisition listserv on topics relevant to English language acquisition practice
FY 2003 to FY 2005
Download this page in MS WORD (522K)