The America's Career Resource Network is made up of state entities that work to improve career decision-making of students and their parents by relating educational decisions and experience to occupational exploration, career choice, and vocational preparation. As an important component of state and local efforts to reform schools and improve student achievement, ACRN helps students become more engaged in their academic coursework through informing them of the knowledge and skills needed for their desired career path. The strength of the ACRN lies in the wide array of career development resources and training made available for teachers, counselors, administrators, and parents.
The Office of Vocational and Adult Education provides grants to the state entities designated as eligible by the Governor and State Vocational Education authority of each State, provides technical assistance to those entities, disseminates information promoting high quality practices, and develops and disseminates products and services that support and facilitate State Career Resource Network (CRN) activities.
The U.S. Department of Labor, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Education, has developed this useful web tool that helps bridge the gap between education, skills, and opportunities in the workforce.
State CRN Activities
- Support career guidance and academic counseling programs designed to promote improved career decision-making
- Provide information and planning resources that relate educational preparation to career goals and expectations for students, parents, teachers, administrators, and counselors
- Equip teachers, administrators, and counselors with the knowledge and skills they need to assist students and parents with career exploration, educational opportunities and educational financing
- Assist other State entities as they tailor career-related educational resources and training for use within their own organizations
- Improve coordination and communication among administrators and planners of programs authorized by Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act and Section 15 of Wagner-Peyser Act to ensure non-duplication of efforts and appropriate shared use of information and data
- Provide on-going means for students and parents to provide comments and feedback on products and services and to update resources to better meet customer requirements
There is no appropriation for ACRN in FY 2007.