- Distance Education at Degree-Granting Postsecondary Institutions: 2000-2001 (2003) from the National Center for Education Statistics outlines the number of institutions, enrollments, course offerings, degree and certificate programs, technologies, participation in consortia, program goals, and deterring factors.
- Second Report to Congress on the Distance Education Demonstration Program (2003) presents findings from the U.S. Department of Education project that waived restrictions on distance learning for 107 postsecondary institutions. Topics include increasing access, student success, student aid issues, and policy perspectives.
- The Distance Education Clearinghouse at the University of Wisconsin provides a comprehensive and widely recognized range of resources on distance education programs and courses, issues, technology, teaching and learning, research, and activities.
- Distance Education at a Glance includes a glossary as well as discussion and resources on topics such as teaching and learning, instructional development, evaluation, research, and copyright issues.
- The United States Distance Learning Association is a nonprofit association formed to promote the development and application of distance learning for education and training.
Community Technology Centers created or expanded community technology centers to provide disadvantaged residents of economically distressed urban and rural communities greater access to information technology.