On this page:
- About WIOA
- State Plan Resources Updated
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Act
- Workforce Development Activities (DOL)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)
- Job-Driven Training
- Email: AskAEFLA@ed.gov
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) was signed into law by President Obama on July 22, 2014. (See the full bill) [PDF 873KB]. This Act reauthorizes the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) with several major revisions. WIOA became effective on July 1, 2015, with several provisions, such as the Unified and Combined State Plan and the performance accountability system, taking effect on July 1, 2016.
Read a statement [PDF 175KB] from Acting Assistant Secretary of OCTAE Johan E. Uvin. (August 5, 2014)
Request for Comments on WIOA Performance Information Collection Request (ICR) Updated The Departments of Labor and Education published a thirty-day notice announcing the joint ICR soliciting comments on the WIOA Common Performance Reporting. The ICR fulfills WIOA section 116(d)(1) requirements for the development of report templates for the State Performance Report for WIOA core programs, the Local Area Performance Report, and the Eligible Training Provider Report. These documents reflect the incorporation of public comments received from the publication of the July 22, 2015 WIOA Performance Management, Information, and Reporting System ICR. Comments may be submitted to: OIRA_submission@omb.eop.gov.OMB will consider all written comments that the agency receives on or before May 26, 2016.
A copy of the Federal Register Notice, the ICR, and applicable supporting documentation may be accessed here and on RegInfo.gov:
- Supporting Statement
- Appendix A: Comment Analysis for Joint ICR
- Appendix C: WIOA Statewide and Local Performance Report Template and Specifications
- Appendix D: Periods for Reporting Annually and Quarterly
- Appendix E: Instructions – WIOA Wage Conversion Chart
- Appendix F: WIOA PIRL - Participant Reporting to States
- Attachment 1: Eligible Training Provider Definitions
Establishing Expected Levels of Performance and Negotiating Adjusted Levels of Performance for Program Years [PDF 97KB]. This memorandum describes the criteria and procedures the OCTAE will use when considering a State’s expected levels of performance and negotiating adjusted levels of performance for Program Year (PY) 2016-17 and PY 2017-18 for the AEFLA program. These levels are required under section 116(b)(3)(A)(iii) and (iv)(I) WIOA. Posted April 6, 2016. Updated
OCTAE issued several WIOA Program Guidance and Policy Memoranda concerning implementation of AEFLA under WIOA.
Final WIOA Unified and Combined State Plan Requirements Available States must use the information Collection Request (ICR) for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Unified and Combined State Plans Requirements. The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has reviewed and approved this data collection (Control Number 1205-0222). These documents reflect the incorporation of public comments received from the publication of the August 6 Federal Register notice prepared by the Departments of Labor, Education, Housing and Urban Development, Health and Human Services, and Agriculture. Posted February 22, 2016.
Requests for Comments on WIOA Unified and Combined State Plan Requirements: Archived on the Federal Register Document Number: 2015-32278. The comment period closed on January 29, 2016.
- Programs and Activities Authorized by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (Title II of WIOA):
– View public comments on docket ED-2015-OCTAE-0003.
- Joint Rule for Unified and Combined State Plans, Performance Accountability, and the One-Stop System Joint Provisions:
– View public comments on docket ETA-2015-0002.
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Title IV of WIOA):
- State Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program: State Supported Employment Services Program; Limitations on Use of Subminimum Wage
– View public comments on docket ED-2015-OSERS-0001.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act: Miscellaneous Program Changes
– View public comments on docket ED-2015-OSERS-0002.
- DOL NPRM (Titles I and III of WIOA):
– View public comments on docket ETA-2015-0001.
Quick Reference Guide for studying the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (Title II) proposed rules
- Access to Portal for Submission of State WIOA Unified and Combined State Plans
- Joint ED and DOL Training on WIOA State Plan Submission Process and Portal Webcast archived webinar
- OCTAE State Plan webinar held February 25, 2016: Slides with notes [PDF 1.7MB]
- OCTAE State Plan Negotiations webinar held March 3, 2016: Slides with notes [PDF 1.8MB]
- OCTAE Serving English Language Learners under AEFLA webinar held March 24, 2016: Slides with notes [PDF 252KB]
Resources will be posted here to assist stakeholders in understanding key provisions and changes in Title II, Adult Education and Family Literacy Act of WIOA.
- Webinar: Education: A Key Service in WIOA March 1, 2016, Slides [PDF 2MB]; Transcript [PDF 155KB]; Audio recording [File 13MB] Updated
- Webinar: Overview of Statistical Adjustment Model Methodology: December 1, 2015 webinar; December 2, 2015 webinar.
- Workforce3One Webcast: Proposed Information Collection – Required Elements for Submission of the Unified or Combined State Plan and Plan Modifications Under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.
- Recorded Statement: A message from Acting Assistant Secretary Johan E. Uvin inviting comments on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking.
- Video Presentation: WIOA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking process and structure, and key dates for providing comments.
- Video Presentation: Overview of Title II Notice of Proposed Rulemaking.
- Video Presentation: Overview of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act | Transcript [PDF 322K]
- Video Presentation: Overview of the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act | Transcript [PDF 367K]
- Video Presentation: Title I State Workforce Boards and Unified Plans | Transcript [PDF 408K]
- Video Presentation: Title I Performance Accountability System | Transcript [PDF 271K]
- Video Presentation: Revised Perkins IV and WIOA
- Webinar: The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA): An Overview of Adult Education and Literacy Presentation slides [PDF 586K]
WIOA Topical Fact Sheets and Technical Assistance
- Corrections Education [PDF 307KB]
- English Language Acquisition [PDF 274KB]
- Essential Components of Reading [PDF 279KB]
- Integrating Technology [PDF 315KB]
- Overview of Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Title II AEFLA [PDF 572K]
- WIOA Key Implementation Dates [PDF 361K]
- Program Memo on Tydings Amendment [PDF 184K]
- Empowering Today's Economy by Training Tomorrow's Workforce (blog post welcoming comments from employers)
Making Skills Everyone's Business
Tools, resources, and announcement for technical assistance events will be posted to this page to assist stakeholders in understanding key provisions and changes in the Title I, Workforce Development Activities of WIOA.
Resources posted by the Vocational Rehabilitation office assist stakeholders in understanding key provisions and changes in Title IV, Amendments to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which authorizes the Vocational Rehabilitation program.
WIOA FAQs – PY 2016 Local Infrastructure Agreements [PDF 49K], posted January 28, 2016 Updated
Frequently Asked Questions – Final Regulations; State Plan Submission [PDF 49K], posted January 21, 2016 Updated
Frequently Asked Questions [PDF 225K]