May 16, 2013:
- English Literacy Education in the Adult Basic Grant Program PDF (148KB)
May 1, 2013:
April 30, 2013:
- Implementing College and Career Readiness Standards in Adult Education SolicitationThe Department is seeking input on the draft PWS before May 10, 2013 and invites interested parties to attend a market research webinar on May 6 at 1:00 pm E.
April 25, 2013:
April 17, 2013:
- College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Educationthis report provides a set of content standards, a summary of the standards selection process, and a description of key content decisions.
April 10, 2013:
- Adult Education State Director Meeting: May 21–23, 2013
April 9, 2013:
- Adult Education Report to Congress Program Year 2009-10 PDF (4.1M) | 508 Compliant Version PDF (12.5M)
March 25, 2013:
March 25, 2013:
- Language Assistance Plan and Procedures to Ensure Meaningful Access to Federally-Conducted Services, Programs and Activities by Individuals with Limited English Proficiency PDF (156K)
March 21, 2013:
March 7, 2013:
- Community College Webinar #1: Transforming Adult Education to Better Prepare Adult Learners to Successfully Transition to Postsecondary Education and Training
February 13, 2013:
February 8, 2013:
January 30, 2013:
- Adult College Completion ToolkitDiscussion with FSA: February 4-8, 2013
To remain globally competitive through the 21st century and beyond, the United States must increase its skilled workforce. The U.S. Department of Education is supporting this effort by simplifying the federal student aid application process; increasing funds for Pell Grants; and providing funds that benefit disadvantaged populations. To learn more, join us in the LINCS Community.
January 25, 2013:
- National Reporting System Announcement: Intention to Extend the Approval Period for Expiring TestsFederal Register Notice
January 8, 2013:
December 13, 2012:
- Policy to Performance Toolkit: a resource that offers guidance and tools for developing policies and practices that support effective adult basic education transition systems. [PDF , 8.4MB]
November 19, 2012:
- A Reentry Education Model Supporting Education and Career Advancement for Low-Skill Individuals In Corrections [PDF, 667KB]is a resource for practitioners and policy makers who wish to use education as a tool to support reentry success.
October 1, 2012:
- Adult Education New State Director's Management Workshop
will be held on October 30-November 1.
September 21, 2012:
- Adult College Completion Toolkit [PDF, 2.18MB]a collection of resources designed to connect state administrators and local practitioners to the strategies, resources, and technical assistance tools. The toolkit focuses on three key areas: access, quality, and completion. Four target student populations include veterans, adult basic education students, incarcerated individuals, and skilled immigrants.
September 12, 2012:
- U.S. Education Department Launches Improved, Online Professional Learning Community with New Features to Inform and Inspire Adult Educators
August 1, 2012
- Take Charge of Your Future, Get the Education and Training You Need [PDF, 4.8M] is a useful guide for planning for post release educational program participation, and it is also a helpful reference for members of the correctional population on community status (on parole or probation or residing in a halfway house or other community corrections facility).
June 12, 2012
- Joint Department of Education and Labor Letter [PDF, 585K] was submitted to the Committee on Education and the Workforce, to present the view of the Departments on H.R. 4297, the Workforce Investment Act of 2012, as introduced by Representative Foxx, Chair of the Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training, and Representatives McKeon and Heck. The Departments strongly opposed the bill.
May 24, 2012
- Improving Adult Literacy Instruction: Options for Practice and Research Public Discussion Meeting on May 30
May 3, 2012
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) Report to Congress 2008-2009: Part 1, PDF (1.04MB) and Part 2, PDF (5.62MB)
April 19, 2012
The Administration's Proposal for Reauthorization of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act (Perkins Act).
- Investing in America's Future: A Blueprint for Transforming Career and Technical Education [PDF, 846KB]: includes key changes from the current Perkins Act and highlights the administration's proposal for reauthorization that will usher in a new era of rigorous, relevant and results-driven CTE shaped by four core principlesAlignment, Collaboration, Accountability and Innovation.
- A two-page overview [PDF, 160KB] of the Blueprint
- Expanding Successful Career and Technical Education through Career Academies [PDF, 296KB]: an overview of a proposed program that would expose students to rigorous college preparatory and work-based career and technical curricula.
April 18, 2012
- ETA Notice of technical assistance resources for States, local areas, and tribal entities developing Career Pathway systems PDF
April 4, 2012
- Letter from the U.S. Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Labor to promote and encourage the use of career pathways approaches as a promising strategy to help low-skilled youth and adults acquire marketable skills and industry-recognized credentials through better alignment of education, training and employment, and human and social services among public agencies, employers and other stakeholders. PDF (603K)
March 29, 2012
- OVAE Community College Webinar series: Community Colleges and Employer Partnerships and Improving Alignment between Secondary and Postsecondary Career and Technical Education PDF
March 7, 2012
- Improving Literacy and Numeracy Gains of WIA Youth Program Participants [PDF]
- Solicitation for Grant Applications for the Workforce Data Quality Initiative [PDF]
February 17, 2012
- Teaching Excellence in Adult Literacy (TEAL) Just Write! Guide a resource to increase familiarity with evidence-based writing instruction.
February 16, 2012
February 8, 2012
- Estimated Allocations for State Grants FY12 under the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA), Title II of the Workforce Investment Act PDF
January 30, 2012
January 20, 2012
January 17, 2012
- Building on Foundations for Success: Guidelines for Improving Adult Mathematics Instruction PDF
January 4, 2012
- U.S. Department of Labor's Solicitation for Grant Applications (SGA) available through the Workforce Innovation Fund (WIF) to support innovative employment and training service approaches.
December 23, 2011
December 22, 2011
November 7, 2011
- Online Discussion - Dec. 5-9: Courses to Employment: Community College-Nonprofit Partnership Approaches to Serving Low-Income Adults
- National Academy of Sciences: Improving Adult Literacy Instruction Options for Practice and Research
October 27, 2011
September 19, 2011
September 12, 2011
August 31, 2011
- LINCS Online Discussion September 7-9: Redesigning Service Delivery to Increase Persistence and Improve Learning Outcomes for Adults with Special Learning Needs
August 24, 2011
August 14, 2011
August 1, 2011
July 1, 2011
June 20-24, 2011
May 19, 2011
May 13, 2011
April 20, 2011
April 7, 2011
March 23, 2011
- New publication: Adult Literacy Instruction: A Review of the Research
February 22, 2011
- New: Community-based Correctional Education Report:
A look at programs serving criminal offenders under community supervision
February 9, 2011
February 3, 2011
- OVAE Job Announcement: GS-14 Supervisory Education Program Specialist Application and Information for Non-status (external candidates) and Status (internal) candidates
February 28, 2011; March 9, 2011; March 23, 2011; and April 15, 2011
- Community College Regional Summits MS Word (31K)
Additional Archived Information