Please share this weekly fact sheet with your colleagues
Edited by Ellen Kelly-Holland
Final 2002 State Allotments
In last week's issue we reported that the estimated FY 2002 allotments to States had been finalized and could be viewed on the Department's website. Shortly afterward we learned that those figures were incorrect. OVAE staff has recalculated the final state-by-state CTE allotments and is transmitting the correct allotment tables to States this week. We are attaching the allotment tables at the end of this issue and will post them on OVAE's website shortly.
April and May State Telephone Conference Calls
The next round of state conference calls is coming up soon. The topics for the calls will be maintenance of effort, budgets, and state plan revisions. Andy Johnson will speak briefly on the problems states may have meeting the maintenance of effort requirements and possible solutions. Andy will also give a brief overview of the budget. Alan Fjellheim will discuss state plan revisions versus amendments. Time permitting, Allison Hill will lead continued discussion on teacher certification. Below is the schedule for the calls.
- April 30, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: Alabama, Delaware, West Virginia, South Carolina, Florida, Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Nebraska
- May 2, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: Arizona, Guam, Louisiana, New Mexico, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Virgin Islands, Kentucky, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Utah, Virginia, Tennessee, Wisconsin
- May 7, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: Alaska, Colorado, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont
- May 9, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: Arkansas, Hawaii, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Idaho, Oregon, Texas, Washington, Indiana, Mississippi, New Jersey, Wyoming, New Hampshire
High School Symposium Papers Available at OVAE Website
Nine papers were presented at the presentation last week at Preparing America's Future: The High School Symposium in Washington, DC addressing the challenges facing today's American high school, preparing students for high achievement and postsecondary transitions, and the role of CTE in high schools. These papers are available for download as Microsoft Word documents.
The webcast of the symposium has been archived for viewing as a part of the National Dissemination Center for Career and Technical Education's Professional Development Speakers Series. See their website for further information.
News from America's Career Resource Network (ACRN)
- FY 2001 Spending Plan Approved
The FY 2001 ACRN spending plan has been approved. It covers the 15% portion of the ACRN appropriation that supports national activities. The total amount available is $1,350,000. $270,000 is allotted to national staffing and $1,080,000 to national activities. Of the funds allocated to national activities, the breakout is as follows:
Network Support $105,000 Outreach and Communication $125,000 Products and Publications $750,000 Research $100,000
Network Support covers such things as regional training, national meetings, and liaison activities with federal agencies and national membership organizations. Outreach and Communication funds support the NTSC website, production of brochures and other informational documents, and the exhibition of materials at meetings and conferences. The Products and Publications allocation will continue product development and dissemination activities. It will also be used to complete revision of the Improved Career Decision Making (ICDM) curriculum and initiate revision of the National Career Development Guidelines. Research funds will be used to implement The Real Game evaluation. Network representatives will be invited to assist in further defining these activities. For more information, please contact Burt Carlson.
- ACRN Reps Volunteer to Assist in National Support Agenda
During the America's Career Resource Network (ACRN) spring meeting, March 19-22, 2002, OVAE staff received names of people interested in continuing work with the national office to implement recommendations for the 2002 national support agenda. Volunteers will be participating in a conference call on Thursday, April 11th to define the process by which the recommendations will be carried out. For more information, please contact John House at the National Training Support Center.
Calendar of Events
- Program Quality Initiative Institute, May 13-14, 2002, Jacksonville, FL
- Train-the-Trainer Institute, August 8-9, 2002, Atlanta, GA
Did You Know?
- Please visit the new location for program memoranda, which provides guidance and other information issued by the Department related to the implementation of the Perkins Act.
- In an effort to keep our office informed about any changes in contact information, title changes, address changes, email changes or telephone numbers, please email your changes to Carole Gisriel.
FY 2002 Vocational-Technical Education Allocations