Please share this weekly fact sheet with your colleagues
Edited by Ellen Kelly-Holland
Level '03 Funding For CTE
President Bush's FY 2003 budget request includes an increase of $1.4 billion or 2.8% for the Department of Education, which includes a total of $1.307 billion for career and technical education. Of that amount, $1.180 billion will go for state grants, $108 million for tech prep education, $12 million for national programs and $6.5 million for tribally controlled postsecondary vocational institutions, the same as for FY 2002 for these programs. The complete budget is available online.
Estimated 2002 State Allotments on Web
The Department's budget office has posted the estimated state-by-state CTE allotments for FY 2002. The budget is available online as a Microsoft Excel file. See pages 38-39. Both the state grant and grants for tech prep education estimates appear there. These may change if we get updated Census data to use in making the allotments.
Attention State Directors
State Directors will receive a memo from OVAE this week requesting identification of both a program (content) and data person so that they can be notified directly of upcoming events and resources on the Peer Collaborative Resource Network (PCRN). For more information, contact John Haigh.
Celebrate Career and Technical Education Week
This year the annual observance of Career and Technical Education Week is February 10-16, 2002. On Tuesday, February 12, several national and state officers from the Career and Technical Student Organizations will visit OVAE to help us celebrate CTE Week by participating in several large and small group meetings with staff to reflect on their educational experiences and career aspirations. Away from Washington, Assistant Secretary Carol D'Amico and Deputy Assistant Secretary Hans Meeder will visit schools in Maryland and Florida, respectively, meeting with career and technical education students and teachers in those states.
Correct Your Calendars!
Last week we announced that OVAE is hosting a peer-to-peer conference call on February 12 at 3:00 p.m. to discuss data quality issues in administrative record exchange. That date has been changed to February 14 at 2:30 p.m. EST. Featured guests include Maria Cavalito from WRIS and Jay Pfeiffer from the Florida Department of Education. The agenda and call-in number can be found online under News and Headlines.
Calendar of Events
- A Call for Renaissance in Career and Technical Teacher Education, February 6-9, 2002, Scottsdale, AZ
- Program Quality Initiative Institute, May 13-14, 2002, Jacksonville, FL
- Train-the-Trainer Institute, August 8-9, 2002, Atlanta, GA
Did You Know?
- All guidance and other information issued by the Department related to the implementation of the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-332) is being posted on this website at a regular basis.
- In an effort to keep our office informed about any changes in contact information, title changes, address changes, email changes or telephone numbers, please email your changes to Carole Gisriel.