Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) administers, coordinates programs that are related to adult education and literacy, career and technical education, and community colleges.
For the latest news and information about career and technical education and adult education, see the “OVAE Connection newsletter.”
May 2013: Archived copies of the materials from the OVAE 2013 Community College Webinar Series are now available!
September 21, 2012: The Adult College Completion Toolkit [PDF, 2.18MB]a collection of resources designed to connect state administrators and local practitioners to the strategies, resources, and technical assistance tools. The toolkit focuses on three key areas: access, quality, and completion. Four target student populations include veterans, adult basic education students, incarcerated individuals, and skilled immigrants.
April 19, 2012: The Administration's Proposal for Reauthorization of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act (Perkins Act).
- Investing in America's Future: A Blueprint for Transforming Career and Technical Education [PDF, 846KB]: includes key changes from the current Perkins Act and highlights the administration's proposal for reauthorization that will usher in a new era of rigorous, relevant and results-driven CTE shaped by four core principlesAlignment, Collaboration, Accountability and Innovation.
- A two-page overview [PDF, 160KB] of the Blueprint
- Expanding Successful Career and Technical Education through Career Academies [PDF, 296KB]: an overview of a proposed program that would expose students to rigorous college preparatory and work-based career and technical curricula.
The Division of Adult Education and Literacy is responsible for enabling adults to acquire the basic skills necessary to function in today's society so that they can benefit from the completion of secondary school, enhanced family life, attaining citizenship and participating in job training and retraining programs.
OVAE's Adult Education and Literacy initiatives are designed to:
- Administering the Adult Education formula grant program to the States.
- Providing assistance to States to improve program quality, accountability and capacity.
- Establishing national leadership activities to enhance the quality of adult education.
The Division of Academic and Technical Education is responsible for helping all students acquire challenging academic and technical skills and be prepared for high-skill, high-wage, or high-demand occupations in the 21st century global economy.
OVAE's Career and Technical Education initiatives are designed to:
- Administering state formula and discretionary grant programs under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act (Perkins).
- Providing assistance to states to improve program quality, implementation, and accountability.
- Establishing national initiatives that help states implement rigorous career and technical education programs.
OVAE provides national leadership to strengthen the role of community colleges in expanding access to postsecondary education for youth and adults and advancing workforce development.
OVAE's community college initiatives are designed to:
- Build public support for community colleges as centers of innovation and providers of excellent education and training that are affordable and accessible to all Americans;
- Facilitate the dissemination of timely and actionable guidance on community college educations for teachers, administrators, students, parents, and employers; and
- Promote the development of strategies that support students in the completion of their postsecondary certification and degree programs.