Getting Started: Sources of General InformationKickStart Initiative: Connecting America's Communities to the Information Superhighway.
Final report of the National Information Infrastructure Advisory Council. This general report makes the case for what entire communities, not just schools, will gain from connecting to the information superhighway. It is packed with valuable information and examples from across the country. The report is available from the Benton Foundation, (202) 638-5770, and is available online at http://www.benton.org/Library/KickStart/kick.home.html.
The Department of Education's Regional Technology in Education Consortia (R*TECs) provide advice and services free to states and school districts. There are six consortia, each serving a region of the country:
AK, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY: Northwest Regional Technology Consortium at (503) 275-9624. Contact: Seymour Hanflin, Director.
ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, IN: North Central Regional Technology Consortium, (708) 218-1272 or (708) 571-4700. Contact: Rafael Ramirez, Director.
OH, PA, MD, DC, NJ, DE, CT, RI, NY, VT, MA, NH, ME: Northeast Regional Technology Consortium, (212) 541-0972. Contact: Bonnie Brownstein, Co-Director.
CA, HI, NV, UT, AZ, CO, NM, Territories: Pacific/Southwest Regional Technology Consortium, (310) 985-1570. Contact: Kevin Rocap, Co-Director.
NE, KS, OK, TX, MO: South Central Regional Technology Consortium, (913) 864-4954. Contact: Jerry Chaffin or Ron Aust, Co-Directors.
AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, SC, NC, VA, WV, KY, TN, PR, Virgin Islands: Southeast and Islands Regional Technology Consortium, (910) 334-3211. Contact: Jean Williams, Co-Director.
Connecting to the Future. A Guide for Building a Network Infrastructure for Education. A video and handbook developed by NASA and the National Center for Education Statistics, available from NASA CORE (216) 774-1051.
From Here to Technology: How to Fund Hardware, Software, and More. Available from the American Association of School Administrators. (703) 875-0748.
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). ISTE represents computer-using teachers. Its catalog, "Resources and Services for Technology-Using Educators," is available free and lists products and services related to technology in schools. (800) 336-5191.
The National School Boards Association (NSBA) sells a variety of publications to help school and district administrators use technology effectively. A catalog is available by calling (800) 706-6722.
Government Resources On-Line
- U.S. Department of Education - http://www.ed.gov
- The White House - http://www.whitehouse.gov
- The Library of Congress - http://www.loc.gov
- Thomas (Information about the U.S. Congress) - http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas2.html
- The Supreme Court - http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/
- FedWorld (Entry to government resources) - http://www.fedworld.gov
- U.S. Census Bureau Home Page - http://www.census.gov
- National Telecommunications and Information Administration - http://www.ntia.doc.gov
- Department of Defense Education Gateway - http://www.acq.osd.mil/ddre/edugate
- Department of Energy laboratories - http://www.doe.gov/people/peopnl.htm
- Department of Labor - Employment and Training Administration (ETA)
- School to Work Opportunities
- The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts - ArtsEdge - http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration Educational Resources -
- NASA's K-12 Internet Initiative - http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - gopher://gopher.esdim.noaa.gov/11/NOAA_systems/education/
- National Science Foundation - http://www.nsf.gov
- United States Geological Survey Education Resources - http://www.usgs.gov/education
- United States Information Agency Education and Cultural Affairs - http://www.usia.gov/education/int-l/
Department of Education Funded Projects On-Line
- National Regional Laboratories Home Page - http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/edlabs/
- Regional Technology Education Consortia - http://rtec.org
- Eisenhower National Clearinghouse for Mathematics and Science Education - http://www.enc.org
- National Clearinghouse for Bilingual Education - http://www.ncbe.gwu.edu
- Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services Regional Resources and Federal Centers - http://www.dssc.org/frc/rrfc.htm
- Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Universal Telecommunications Access - http://fshb41.gallaudet.edu
- Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Adaptive Computers and Information Systems - http://trace.wisc.edu
Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC)
- Access ERIC - http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Home.portal (also 1-800-LET-ERIC)
- AskERIC - http://ericir.sunsite.syr.edu/
- National Parent Information Network - http://npin.org
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation - http://ericae.net/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood - http://ericps.ed.uiuc.edu/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Information and Technology - http://www/ericit.org/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Teaching and Teacher Education - http://www.ericsp.org/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading, English, and Communications - http://eric.indiana.edu/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Science, Mathematics, and Environmental Science - http://www.ericse.org/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Social Studies and Social Science Education - http://ericso.indiana.edu/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Rural and Small Schools - http://www.ael.org/erichp.htm
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Urban Education - http://eric-web.tc.columbia.edu/
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Disabilities and Gifted Education - http://ericec.org/
National Research and Development Centers
- Center for Research on Cultural Diversity and Second Language
- Center for Research on Educational Accountability and Teacher Evaluation (CREATE) - gopher://gopher.wmich.edu:70/11/wmu/evalcntr/CREATE
- Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing (CRESST) - http://www.cse.ucla.edu/
- National Center on Adult Literacy - http://litserver.literacy.upenn.edu
- National Research Center on Student Learning - http://www.lrdc.pitt.edu/
- National Center for Research on Teacher Learning - gopher://burrow.cl.msu.edu:70/11/Internet/msu/ncrtl
Other On-Line Resources
- Education Associations and Organizations - http://www.ed.gov/EdRes/EdAssoc.html
- The Electronic Newsstand (online periodicals) - http://www.enews.com
- The Internet Public Library - http://www.ipl.org/
- Web66 (Link to school home pages) - http://web66.coled.umn.edu
Search ToolsIf there are resources you need that are not listed here, go to one of the following sites to use a keyword search to locate it.
|Previous||Table of Contents|