Last Competition: FY 2016
Application available: December 1, 2015
Application deadline: January 8, 2016
Tuesday, December 8, 2015. Refer to the slide presentation below.
The Department opened the period for submitting an application for a designation of eligibility for the following programs:
- Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions Program (ANNH)
- Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions Program (AANAPISI)
- Developing Hispanic-Serving Institutions Program (HSI)
- Hispanic-Serving Institutions STEM and Articulation Program (HSI STEM)
- Native American Serving Nontribal Institutions Program (NASNTI)
- Predominantly Black Institutions Programs (PBI)
- Promoting Postbaccalaureate Opportunities for Hispanic Americans Program (PPOHA)
- Strengthening Institutions Program (SIP)
Federal Register Notice
- Notice Inviting Applications for Designation as Eligible Institutions and Waiver of Eligibility Requirements for Fiscal Year (FY) 2016, November 19, 2015 | PDF
Applications were submitted electronically on a designated Web site that is not currently available because the application process is closed.
Contact the program office for text versions of the application package.
Tips and Assistance
- Eligibility Matrix 2016 (1.64MB) | Institutional Service Grants to Minority- and Low-Income-Serving Institutions: Results from the Eligibility Process, FY 2016 (138K)
- A webinar about the 2016 eligibility process was held on Tuesday, December 8, 2015. Refer to the slide presentation: MS PowerPoint (1.25MB)
- Title III Statute - Title 20, Chapter 28, Subchapter III of the U.S. Code (Cornell University Law School Legal Information Institute Web site)
- Title V Statute - Title 20, Chapter 28, Subchapter V of the U.S. Code (Cornell University Law School Legal Information Institute Web site)
- Applicable Regulations: (a) The Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR) in 34 CFR parts 74, 75, 77, 79, 80, 82, 84, 86, 97, 98, and 99. (b) The OMB Guidelines to Agencies on Governmentwide Debarment and Suspension (Nonprocurement) in 2 CFR 180, as adopted and amended as regulations of the Department in 2 CFR part 3485. (c) The Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards in 2 CFR part 200, as adopted in 2 CFR part 3474. (d) The regulations for the Title III programs in 34 CFR part 607, and for the HSI program in 34 CFR part 606. (e) The notice of final requirements for the PPOHA program, published in the Federal Register on July 27, 2010 (75 FR 44055).
- Christopher Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, (202) 453-7946
If you use a telecommunications device for the deaf or a text telephone, call the Federal Relay Service, toll free, at 1-800-877-8339. Individuals with disabilities can obtain this document in an accessible format (e.g., braille, large print, audio tape, or compact disc) on request to one of the contact persons listed in this section.
U.S. Department of Education, OPE
Higher Education Programs
Strengthening Institutions Program
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20202
Eligible Institutions for Title III and Title V Programs
FY 2016: Title III and Title V institutions designated eligible for the waiver of the non-federal share matching requirements. MS Excel (218K)
FY 2006: Institutions designated eligible for the waiver of the non-federal share matching requirements is available for Title III Part A and Title V programs for the period of July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2011. MS Word (303K) | PDF (53K)
FY 2005: An institution designated as an "eligible institution" if otherwise eligible, could apply for a new grant under any of the Title III, Part A Programs and the Title V, Hispanic Serving Institutions Program in Fiscal Year 2005. Also, these institutions will receive an exemption from the non-Federal share matching requirements under the Federal Work Study Program, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program, and the TRIO Student Support Services Program under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA), as well as the Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Program authorized by Title VI of the HEA for July 1, 2005, through June 30, 2006.
- Institutions that applied by the January 13, 2005, deadline and were designated eligible for Title III Part A or Title V funding, if otherwise eligible: MS Word (221K) | PDF (325K).
- Institutions that applied between January 14 and April 28, 2005, and were designated eligible for the waiver of the non-Federal share matching requirements for the period of July, 2005 through June 30, 2006: MS Word (112K) | PDF (150K)