Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
- Mission and Responsibilities
- Order of Succession
- Functions and Responsibilities of OSERS Components
- Primary Delegations of Authority
The Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services serves as the principal adviser to the Secretary on Departmental matters related to special education and rehabilitative services. The Office directs, coordinates, and recommends policy for programs that are designed to:
- Meet the needs and develop the full potential of children with disabilities through the provision of special educational programs and services.
- Reduce dependency and enhance the productive capabilities of persons with disabilities through the provision of independent living and vocational rehabilitation services.
- Increase knowledge about, foster innovation in, and improve the delivery of services for persons with disabilities through the performance of rehabilitative and special education research and demonstration activities.
- Disseminate information about services, programs, and laws affecting persons with disabilities.
The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) is under the supervision of the Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services who reports to the Secretary and Deputy Secretary. The Assistant Secretary provides overall direction, coordination, and leadership to the following major elements:
National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research;
Rehabilitation Services Administration;
and Office of Special Education Programs.
In addition, the Communications and Customer Service Team, the Policy and Planning Staff, the Management and Support Staff, and the Grants and Contracts Services Team report directly to the Assistant Secretary.
In the absence of the Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, the following officials, in the order shown, will act as Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services:
- Director, Office of Special Education Programs;
- Deputy Assistant Secretary;
- Commissioner, Rehabilitation Services Administration;
- Director, National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research;
- Executive Administrator