Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools
C. Drug-Violence Prevention - State Programs
The Drug-Violence Prevention (DVP) State Programs group administers Title IV, Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act (SDFSCA) authorized by the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994 and other programs related to developing and maintaining safe, disciplined, and drug-free schools.
Programs authorized under this legislation provide financial assistance for drug and violence prevention activities in elementary and secondary schools, and institutions of higher education. Activities may be carried out by State and local educational agencies and by other public and private nonprofit organizations. Specifically, the group has lead responsibility for the Safe and Drug-Free Schools State Programs.
The DVP State Programs group is headed by a Director who reports to the Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary for Safe and Drug-Free Schools. The Director advises the Assistant Deputy Secretary and the Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary on matters related to the programs administered by the group. The group also works with the Office of the Under Secretary in the design and implementation of the evaluation system prescribed in the Department's reauthorization proposal.
In performing its responsibilities, the group:
- Administers discretionary grants, interagency agreements, contracts, and cooperative agreements.
- Monitors program compliance with statutory and regulatory provisions.
- Provides technical assistance to grantees and other members of the public.
- Participates in the formulation and development of ED program policy and legislative proposals and in the overall Administration policies related to violence and drug prevention. Drafts program regulations.
- Designs operating programs, prepares program and administrative budgets and other management documents.
- Establishes management goals and objectives that are consistent with the ED strategic plan.
- Participates in interagency committees, groups, and partnerships related to drug and violence prevention.
- Participates with other Federal Agencies in the development of a national research agenda for drug and violence prevention.