Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools
B. Health, Mental Health, Environmental Health, and Physical Education
The Health, Mental Health, Environmental Health, and Physical Education (HMHEHPE) group administers programs that promote the health and well being of students and families as outlined in Title IV, Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act (SDFSCA) authorized by the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994.
Programs authorized under this legislation provide financial assistance for activities that promote the health and well being of students in elementary and secondary schools, and institutions of higher education. Activities may be carried out by State and local educational agencies and by other public and private nonprofit organizations. Specifically, the group has lead responsibility for the following discretionary programs: Physical Education and School Counselors programs.
HMHEHPE is headed by a Director who reports to the Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary for Safe and Drug-Free Schools. The Director advises the Assistant Deputy Secretary and the Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary on matters related to the programs administered by HMHEHPE. The group also works with the Office of the Under Secretary in the design and implementation of the evaluation system prescribed in the Department's reauthorization proposal. In performing its responsibilities, the group:
- Administers discretionary grants, interagency agreements, contracts, and cooperative agreements.
- Monitors program compliance with statutory and regulatory provisions.
- Provides technical assistance to grantees and other members of the public.
- Participates in the formulation and development of ED program policy and legislative proposals and in the overall Administration policies related to health, mental health, environmental health, and physical education. Drafts program regulations.
- Designs operating programs, prepares program and administrative budgets and other management documents.
- Establishes management goals and objectives that are consistent with the ED strategic plan.
- Participates in interagency committees, groups, and partnerships related to health and the well being of students in elementary and secondary schools, and institutions of higher education.
- Coordinates with other Federal agencies on issues related to comprehensive school health.
- Advises the Assistant Deputy Secretary and the Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary on the formulation of comprehensive school health education policy.
- Participates with other Federal Agencies in the development of a national research agenda for the health and well being of students in elementary and secondary schools, and institutions of higher education.