Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development
- Mission and Responsibilities
- Order of Succession
- Functions and Responsibilities of OPEPD Components
- Primary Delegations of Authority
I. Mission and Responsibilities
The Assistant Secretary for the Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development (OPEPD) serves as the principal adviser to the Secretary on all matters relating to policy development and review; performance measurement and evaluation; budget processes and proposals. The Assistant Secretary is responsible for:
- coordinating the review of Department-wide policies to ensure consistency with the Secretary’s guidance and the Administration’s goals;
- overseeing policy development and reviewing policy recommendations submitted to the Secretary by Principal Offices;
- managing a repository of policy data necessary to formulate, develop, validate and recommend policy positions to the Secretary;
- managing budget programs, process, and proposals;
- developing and implementing Department-wide systems and procedures for strategic accountability and performance management;
- analyzing current and proposed education policy; directing the development of policy options for legislative proposals and program reauthorizations based on policy analysis;
- performance measurement, and evaluation studies for education programs;
- designing, conducting, and reporting on evaluation studies to describe program operations and program outcomes of participants and to promote program improvement;
- providing technical expertise in formula development, modeling, forecasting, and trends analysis; and conducting analyses of cost/benefit and institutional effects of regulations.
The Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development is under the supervision of the Assistant Secretary, who reports directly to the Secretary of Education.
Four major elements, the Budget Service, the Performance Management Information Service, the Policy and Program Studies Service and Policy Development report to the Assistant Secretary.
Additionally, the Assistant Secretary coordinates the activities of the Office of Educational Technology.
In the event that the Assistant Secretary for Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development dies, resigns or is otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office, and the office is thereby deemed to be vacant, the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary shall temporarily perform the functions and duties of the office in an acting capacity.
In instances where the office is not vacant, but the Assistant Secretary for Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development is absent, the following officials, in the order shown, shall perform the functions and duties of the office:
Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary
Deputy Assistant Secretary for Planning and Policy Development
Director, Budget Service.