Office of Management
E. Security Services
Security Services (SS) oversees the Department’s physical, personnel, and classified information security programs. SS works with other ED organizations, the Federal Protective Service, and other local and Federal law enforcement organizations to assure the security of the Department’s many buildings, its classified information, and its employees. SS is also responsible for the oversight of Departmental Continuity of Operation Plans and for assuring their periodic updating.
The SS Director is a member of the Department’s Security Coordinating Committee, chaired by the Assistant Secretary for Management, which provides oversight and coordination for the Department’s various security activities.
In performing its responsibilities, Security Services is divided into two Divisions:
- Develops policies, procedures and guidelines for the personnel security function in accordance with applicable federal laws, regulations and Executive Orders.
- Ensures each individual’s employment will promote the efficiency of the service and is consistent with the public trust and national security interest.
- Adjudicates initial derogatory information on federal forms (OF 612, OF 306, SF 171 or Resume, etc.) to determine if an applicant is suitable for federal employment in a position of trust before an investigation is initiated.
- Initiates background investigations for applicants, appointees, employees, and contractors.
- Adjudicates the results of background investigations on applicants, appointees, employees, and contractors for (1) security clearances or to occupy sensitive positions; and (2) for suitability to occupy a position of trust not requiring a security clearance.
- Conducts periodic internal reviews and evaluations as part of an ongoing departmental self-inspection program related to the handling and safeguarding of classified national security information.
- Develops and presents a Department-wide employee security education and awareness program dealing with the handling and safeguarding of classified national security information including compliance with Insider Threat policies and standards.
- Coordinates the implementation of the personnel security portion of Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) which includes screening of current employees, applicants, and contractors for personal identity verification.
- Develops and maintains the Department’s Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) and Continuity of Government Operations (COG), which include testing, training, and exercises of the programs and oversees the development and maintenance of all Principal Office’s Business Continuity plans.
- Manages all of the Department’s classified information technology hardware and systems as well as the Department’s COMSEC program.
- Coordinates with the Chief Information Officer (including the Information Assurance Program) in assuring the security of ED’s information technology hardware and systems.
- Administers a broad range of activities relating to employees and facilities emergency preparedness including the management of the Occupant Emergency Plan (OEP) Program for each of the Department’s facilities in coordination with the on-site building managers, and the OEP teams in each location.
- Administers a program for employee security awareness and emergency procedures.
- Develops policies, procedures and guidelines for the physical security function in accordance with applicable federal laws, regulations and Executive Orders.
- Coordinates with other Federal agencies, including the Federal Protective Service of the General Services Administration, and law enforcement agencies in the development of a physical security program which protects both the Department’s physical plant and its employees.
- Assures the safety of ED-occupied buildings including the oversight of facility guard service and, in coordination with the Office of the Secretary, protection of the agency’s executives.
- Works with space planners in Facilities Services in reviewing pre-construction and lease plans for new facilities to assure their conformity with Federal security requirements.
- Administers the Department of Education access control system including the employee identification card program, maintenance and issuance of Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) compliant identification media.
- Coordinates with Federal, State, and local law enforcement in response to emergencies at the local, State, and/or Federal level.