Office of Management
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY SERVICES
The mission of Equal Employment Opportunity Services (EEOS) is to ensure that the U.S. Department of Education provides equal opportunities in employment for all employees and applicants. EEOS is under the supervision of a Director who reports directly to the Assistant Secretary for Management.
EEOS develops and administers the Department-wide programs of equal employment. EEOS is responsible for developing policies and programs pertaining to special Services (minorities, women, and persons with disabilities). This includes providing direction and leadership to the Department's diverse affirmative action program, complaint processing procedures, diversity and other related equal opportunity missions of the Department.
In performing its responsibilities, Equal Employment Opportunity Services:
- Develops, implements, and manages the EEO precomplaints process in accordance with EEOC regulations. Ensures that the alternative dispute resolution (ADR) option is available to aggrieved individuals or complainants and that ADR is offered for complaint matters determined suitable for ADR.
- Provides Department-wide guidance to senior management officials and employees on all aspects of the Department's complaint processing system. Assures uniformity in fact-finding, resolutions, and formal determinations as they relate to the particular issues in a complaint.
- Develops and implements the Department's policies, regulations, and procedures to assure the timely, accurate and fair processing of all complaints.
- Interprets regulatory and technical matters that relate to complaints processing.
- Serves as primary focal point in planning and coordinating all Department-wide activities, initiatives, and actions relating to affirmative employment and data analysis. This involves the analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of Department-wide EEO workforce data. Monitors and reviews personnel policies and staffing activities for EEO implications. Evaluates the impact of special employment programs, such as the Department's Federal Equal Opportunity Recruitment Program (FEORP), Disabled Veterans Affirmative Action Program (DVAAP), and Hispanic Employment Program (HEP).
- Administers special emphasis programs including Hispanic employment, Individuals with disabilities employment, disabled veterans program, Federal Womens Program, Black affairs employment program, American Indian/Alaskan Native Employment Programs, and Asian/Pacific Islander-Hawaiian American Employment Program.
- Administers programs that ensure the accessibility of Department services for people with disabilities including providing reasonable accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, for employees with disabilities in the individual work environment as well as ensuring equal access in training and open meetings.
- Compiles reports of performance and quality of effort by each principal office, identifying significant problems, events, and accomplishments, as well as any need for changes in the Department-wide goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Recommends approval or disapproval of principal office affirmative employment plans based upon a critical review of problems identified and progress toward solution of those problems, consistent with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and Department EEO guidelines. Establishes a system of EEO reports from principal offices to monitor progress in meeting ED’s affirmative employment and diversity goals and objectives.
- Develops guidelines and regulations on affirmative employment and diversity for use throughout the Department. Reviews Departmental policies and regulations pertaining to EEO data collection and recommends substantive revisions and modification, as appropriate.
- Provides technical assistance and advice to senior officials, principal offices and other interested parties in translating employment statistics into practical use in the formulation of Department-wide affirmative employment and diversity policies.
- Controls and disseminates EEO data to principal offices and other parties within the Department, and responds to inquiries from outside organizations on diversity matters.