Office of Legislation and Congressional Affairs
- MISSION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- ORDER OF SUCCESSION
- FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF OLCA COMPONENTS
- PRIMARY DELEGATIONS OF AUTHORITY
The Assistant Secretary for Legislation and Congressional Affairs serves as the principal adviser to the Secretary on matters concerning the Departmental legislative program and Congressional relations. The Office directs, coordinates, and recommends policy for activities that are designed to:
- Provide direction for all legislative activities of the Department.
- Plan, develop, and implement the legislative goals of the Department.
- Establish effective network of support for these goals among Members of Congress.
- Manage, coordinate, and direct the presentation of the Department's legislative program to Congress.
- Coordinate the collection of and provide information, including testimony, to Congress about Departmental policies, appropriations, programs, and organization, and assure the Department's responsiveness to Congressional requests for information.
- Inform and educate the Department with regard to exigencies and nuances of Congressional policy- and decision-making practices.
The Office of Legislation and Congressional Affairs is under the supervision of the Assistant Secretary for Legislation and Congressional Affairs, who reports directly to the Secretary of Education.
In the event that the Assistant Secretary for Legislation and Congressional Affairs dies, resigns or is otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office, and the office is thereby deemed to be vacant, the Deputy Assistant Secretary shall temporarily perform the functions and duties of the office in an acting capacity.
In instances where the office is not vacant, but the Assistant Secretary for Legislation and Congressional Affairs is absent, the following officials, in the order shown, shall perform the functions and duties of the office:
- Deputy Assistant Secretary
- Deputy Assistant Secretary for Congressional Oversight and Management
- Chief of Staff