Office of Innovation and Improvement
- Mission and Responsibilities
- Order of Succession
- Functions and Responsibilities of OII Components
- Primary Delegations of Authority
The Assistant Deputy Secretary for Innovation and Improvement serves as the principal adviser to the Secretary on the development of promising educational interventions, including reforms that expand parental choice and information. Much like an entrepreneurial foundation, the Office will oversee competitive grant programs that support the trial of innovations in the education system and will broadly disseminate the lessons learned from these trials.
The Office administers, coordinates, and recommends policy for improving the quality of programs and activities that are designed to:
- Support and test innovations throughout the K-12 system, in areas including (but not limited to) alternate routes to certification; traditional teaching of American history; dropout prevention; and arts in education.
- Encourage the establishment of charter schools, which provide laboratories for innovative approaches to elementary and secondary education, through planning and start-up funding and also through innovative approaches to credit enhancement for charter school facilities.
- Encourage the expansion of parental options and information in education by supporting alternatives including magnet schools, public school choice, and non-public education, and by working with community organizations to inform parents of their options.
- Serve as the Department's liaison and resource to the non-public education community.
- Manage the Fund for the Improvement of Education.
- Provides day-to-day oversight to the Office of Educational Technology.
The Office of Innovation and Improvement is under the supervision of the Assistant Deputy Secretary for Innovation and Improvement who reports to the Deputy Secretary. The Immediate Office of the Assistant Deputy Secretary provides overall direction, coordination, and leadership to the following major elements:
- Office of Non-Public Education
- Parental Options and Information
- Teacher Quality Programs
- Improvement Programs
- Investing In Innovation
- Charter Schools Programs
In addition, an Executive Office Staff reports to the Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary.
In the event that the Assistant Deputy Secretary for Innovation and Improvement dies, resigns or is otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office, and the office is thereby deemed to be vacant, the Chief of Staff shall temporarily perform the functions and duties of the office in an acting capacity.
In instances where the office is not vacant, but the Assistant Deputy Secretary for Innovation and Improvement is absent, the following officials, in the order shown, shall perform the functions and duties of the office:
- Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary for Special Projects
- Associate Assistant Deputy Secretary for Innovation and Reform
- Chief of Staff.