Office of Inspector General
V. Primary Delegations of Authority
The Secretary has delegated the following authorities to the Inspector General, subject to certain reservations:
- Authority to maintain a national security information program for the Department in accordance with Executive Order 12956 and 34 CFR Part 19.
- Authority to grant or deny clearances for access to national security information in accordance with Executive Orders 12356 and 10450, "Security Requirements for Government Employment."
- Authority as Disclosure Officer for Freedom of Information Act requests for records of the Office of Inspector General.
- Authority under the Privacy Act to request disclosure of records maintained by another Federal Agency.
- Authority to administer the personnel security and personnel suitability programs for all positions within the Department in accordance with 5 U.S.C. Sections 3301, 3571, 7531, and 7532; Executive Orders 12968, 10450, and 10577, as amended; OMB Circular A-130, and 5 CFR Parts 731, 732, and 736.
- Authority to sign certain Federal Register documents other than policy statements and interpretations, including notices of meetings and workshops.
The Secretary had also delegated to all Principal Officers general administrative authorities subject to certain reservations.