Office of the General Counsel
V. Primary Delegations of Authority
The Secretary has delegated the following authorities to the General Counsel:
- Authority to promulgate non-substantive corrections to regulations and other Federal Register documents.
- Authority to serve as Garnishment Agent.
- Authority to be exercised by the Designated Agency Ethics Official to coordinate and manage the Department's ethics program as set forth in 5 C.F.R. Sec. 738.203.
- Authority to perform the functions as Department Claims Officer under the following statutes:
- The Federal Tort Claims Act, 28 U.S.C. Secs. 2671 et seq:
- The Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claims Act of 1964, 42 U.S.C. 204 et seq, 31 U.S.C. Secs 3701, 3721;
- 5 U.S.C. Sec. 5584, authorizing a waiver of claims arising out of erroneous payment of pay to employees of the Department.
- Authority to sign Federal Register notices other than the policy statements and interpretations.