Office of Communications and Outreach
D. Media Relations
Media Relations plans, develops, and executes ED’s public affairs strategies to support the goals and objectives of the Department of Education. The office serves as the central channel for information to Ed’s various publics and the media. The office also coordinates public affairs media efforts with ED Headquarters and Regional officials and, manages and directs these functions.
The office, in coordination with other OCO components, originates and develops news products for the media and the general public’ arranges news/press conferences, interviews, radio and television appearances; responds to media requests and maintains continuous media relations; issues a daily digest of relevant education news; and provides close, continuing contact with the Principal Offices.
In support of these functions, Media Relations is responsible for providing direction and ensuring among many things, the following activities are carried out:
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with national and local media with the press secretary as ED’s primary spokesperson.
- Work closely with assigned Principal Offices in planning and developing new communications strategies and activities.
- Create and disseminate news releases.
- Provide advance news notification to the general media and specialized education press on programs and events involving ED executives and/or issues.
- Coordinate the planning and execution of, and messaging for, special events involving the Secretary or key staff from Principal Offices on critical department issues, designed to create media interest to inform the public, education groups, and others and to enlist participation in Department programs and education reform efforts.
- Provide a regular news monitoring service for the department.
- Develop and execute comprehensive public affairs media campaigns designed to keep the generalized and specialized publics informed of the activities and interests of ED.
- Perform research on education-related news articles appearing in the media for OCO and other offices within the Department as requested.