Office of Communications and Outreach
B. COMMUNICATION DEVELOPMENT
Communication Development is responsible for articulating the Department’s message through the development and review of publications, speeches, media releases, external newsletters, op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, and other written products. This office is headed by a Deputy Assistant Secretary who is also responsible for overseeing the Web Team and the Editorial Policy, Publications and Printing staff.
The Web Team manages, operates and develops content policies and procedures for ED.gov, as well as manages web content on ED web sites. The Team provides editorial leadership and oversight as it works with offices throughout ED to ensure the relative currency of existing content on the ED.gov site. The Team also enhances education information dissemination and develops new information resources.
Editorial Policy, Publications and Printing Team
The Editorial Policy, Publications and Printing Team participates in the planning, development, and execution of ED’s communications strategies in the area of editorial services and assures conformance of these services with ED policies. The office supervises the preparation and production of publications, speeches and other writing assignments. The office also administers a publication control system. In performing its responsibilities, the Editorial Policy and Printing Team also performs the following functions:
- Writes and edits articles about Department programs for marketing to outside magazines.
- Approves or disapproves for policy reasons, speeches and articles prepared by other ED components targeted at non-Federal audiences and readers.
- Reviews publications for conformance to ED policies and standards, and provides support to other Department offices as requested.
- Reviews production request for manuscripts to ensure that they conform to established criteria.
- Edits, designs, and prepare manuscripts for production in consultation with authors.
- Approves orders for camera-ready or typeset printing.
- Assists in the preparation of the Secretary’s Annual Report to the President and the Congress
- Serves as technical printing management advisor to program officials with Ed and maintains liaison with the Government Printing Office, the Joint Congressional Committee on printing and the National Archives and Records Administration.