Office of Federal Student Aid
D. Performance Management
Performance Management (PM) in Federal Student Aid is responsible for providing best-in-business project and program management leadership for Operating Committee designated projects and programs; leadership of strategic plan design, update, monitoring, communication and assessment; facilitation and support of FSA project/program portfolio; facilitation and support of the Department of Education mandated operational performance review process; and leadership and support of FSA’s business information programs. To accomplish this mission, PM has four principal components:
- Project Management and Oversight Group
- Strategic Planning and Reporting Group
- Enterprise Change Management Group
- Information Management Group
Project Management and Oversight is responsible for promoting the development and adoption of a project management culture throughout Federal Student Aid. The group advises on systems integration strategy and annual strategic and tactical planning for Federal Student Aid initiatives and is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing project management standards (based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge, Third Edition) that are integrated with other Federal Student Aid processes;
- Identifying training, in collaboration with Federal Student Aid University, to develop new project managers and support existing project managers’ professional development;
- Reporting on the status of projects to enable informed decisions and sound project management;
- Managing the project management process across Federal Student Aid;
- Project management consulting;
- Ensuring coordination and integration across all projects; and
- Analyzing critical dependencies across projects.
Strategic Planning and Reporting provides strategic measurement initiatives and data in order to track program and organizational performance. Staff will leverage internal administrative assistance as well as a production team to focus efforts on strategic value-adding tasks and activities and performs the following functions:
- Developing, executing, and continually improving the strategic planning process so that the organization has a clear and consistent approach to improving performance. The outputs of this process include an annually updated Five Year Performance Plan as well as the associated annual plans;
- Developing and maintaining the assessment of key Federal Student Aid metrics;
- Tracking and measuring Management Council and/or Chief Operating Officer assigned initiatives (e.g., Annual Performance Plan). Communicating results of annual plans and Management Council initiatives on a bi-weekly, quarterly, and annual basis;
- Implementing measurement processes to ensure the necessary and needed performance information is available, including employee surveys, customer surveys, and performance metrics;
- Providing support to the organization concerning performance reporting and performance measures mandated by, e.g., the Office of Management and Budget; and
- Performing data analysis and reporting (e.g., program data and Congressionally mandated reporting).
Enterprise Change Management provides leadership and integrated oversight for all FSA strategic initiatives execution, governance, quality assurance, Project Management standards and professional development, along with a strategic measurement initiatives and data in order to track program and organizational performance.
Information Management Group is responsible for the creation, maintenance and quality of all FSA Enterprise Data Standards for key customer and program reference data along with enforcement of data acquisition, management and distribution methods, procedures and policies across FSA. This group chairs the Information Management Council, serving as the business lead for FSA’s core customer and program data repository.
Partner with FSA’s Technology Data Architecture to ensure that FSA’s global data architecture supports its long-term business strategy. Partner with FSA system owners and developers to eliminate barriers (technical and organizational) to effective interface of customer and program reference data across FSA systems. Increase the understanding and awareness of data governance across key leaders in FSA. Ensure the development of rigorous business cases for strategic data initiatives that yield benefits to cross-functional FSA business units and escalate deviation from non-strategic goals.
Develop, implement and maintain an integrated FSA reference data strategy to support FSA wide processes, such as customer segmentation, risk aggregation, business productivity, and financial reporting. The group ensures that FSA effectively manages the following data types to provide information for optimal decision making:
- Customer Data
- Transactional Data
- Program Data
- Financial Data
- Operational Data
Serve as FSA business liaison for Department data projects to ensure that FSA partners effectively to share data where appropriate across the Department of Education. Ensure appropriate sharing of all data with regards compliance requirements. Optimize use of 3rd party vendor data across the platform to enhance internal and external data flow. Implement metrics and tracking to chart progress in implementing data standards. Work closely with FSA Technology, Risk Management, Operations, Compliance, Customer Experience and Finance groups in the development and deployment of FSA data strategies.