ONPE Mission and Activities
ONPE fosters maximum participation of nonpublic school students and teachers in federal education programs and initiatives. Since the initial passage of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) in 1965, private school students and teachers have been eligible to participate in certain federal education programs. ONPE's activities reflect this mission and direction by:
- Representing the U.S. Department of Education to the nonpublic school community;
- Offering advice and guidance within the Department on all matters affecting nonpublic education;
- Communicating with national, state and local education agencies and associations on nonpublic education topics;
- Communicating the interests and concerns of the nonpublic school community to the Department;
- Providing parents with information regarding education options for their children; and
- Providing technical assistance, workshops and publications.