The U.S. Department of Education [ED] conducts the Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC), formerly the Elementary and Secondary School Survey (E&S Survey), to collect data on key education and civil rights issues in our nation's public schools. The CRDC collects a variety of information including, student enrollment and educational programs and services, disaggregated by race/ethnicity, sex, limited English proficiency and disability. The CRDC is a longstanding and important aspect of the ED Office for Civil Right's overall strategy for administering and enforcing the civil rights statutes for which it is responsible. Information collected by the CRDC is also used by other ED offices as well as policymakers and researchers outside of ED.
About the CRDC MS WORD (34K)
Access CRDC Data
To access CRDC data from the 2000, 2004, 2006, 2009-10, and 2011-12 surveys:
[Updated] 2013-14 and 2015-16 CRDC – Updated 6/11/2014
OCR has received OMB approval to require every public school and school district in the country to respond to the 2013-14 CRDC. It includes most of the data items collected by the 2011-12 CRDC and a small number of new data items.
OMB has also approved an additional set of new data items that are optional for the 2013-14 CRDC, and mandatory for the 2015-16 CRDC. All the documentation submitted to OMB about the CRDC can be found at this link.
School districts should be collecting and recording data for the 2013-14 school year now. They should have already received an email from OCR in May 2014 about the CRDC. School districts will receive by email later this summer information for logging into the system in order to validate contact information and school directories. School districts will begin entering data from the school year 2013-14 no earlier than October 2014. A new web-based tool will make it easier for school districts to enter data. For more information about timing of important events for the 2013-14 CRDC, check out this one-page calendar document PDF (108K).
2013-14 Table Layouts with Definitions
Below are the table layouts for the 2013-14 CRDC for schools and LEAs. The table layouts include items required for the 2013-14 CRDC, items optional for the 2013-14 CRDC, and items required for the 2015-16 CRDC. Because many of the CRDC school-level items are only applicable to high schools, a shortened version of the table layout is also available for schools that have a highest grade of 6 or 8. All data collected by the 2013-14 CRDC are data for the 2013-14 school year.
- 2013-14 LEA Form MS WORD (205K)
- 2013-14 School Form (full set of CRDC school-level questions for all schools and justice facilities, including high schools, and schools with the highest grade no higher than 8 that offer Algebra I or Geometry) MS WORD (1.2M)
- 2013-14 Elementary School Form (only for schools with the highest grade not greater than 6) MS WORD (793K)
- 2013-14 Elementary/Middle School Form (only for schools with the highest grade not greater than 8 that do not offer Algebra I or Geometry) MS WORD (798K)
Flat File Specifications
The list of data elements and flat file submission instructions and additional guidance documents are available for school districts and states that will be submitting their 2013-14 CRDC data in a flat file format:
- CRDC 2013-14 Flat File Submission Instructions MS WORD (119K)
- CRDC SY 2013-14 List of Elements: Excel spreadsheet with tabs for LEA and school level data elements. MS Excel (495K)
- 2013-14 School-level Table Layout with Flat File Data Element Names MS WORD (1.3M)
- 2013-14 LEA-level Table Layout with Flat File Data Element Names MS WORD (198K)
Additional information about the 2013-14 CRDC can be found here:
- 2013-14 CRDC Calendar PDF (108K)
- 2013-14 and 2015-16 CRDC Questions and Answers MS WORD (87K)
- Important Information about the 2013-14 and 2015-16 CRDC MS WORD (61K)
- Detailed list of CRDC data elements MS WORD (35K)
2011-12 CRDC -Updated 3/21/2014
The CRDC for the 2011-12 school year was collected from every public school and school district in the country. The school and district level data collected by the CRDC was posted in March 21, 2014 on the CRDC website at http://ocrdata.ed.gov.
OCR has issued four documents analyzing key aspects of the 2011-12 data:
- Data Snapshot: Discipline PDF (2.10M)
- Data Snapshot: Early Learning PDF (1.6M)
- Data Snapshot: College and Career Readiness PDF (2.7M)
- Data Snapshot: Teacher Equity PDF (2.1M)
Information on the collection is available below:
2009-10 CRDC – Updated 12/23/2013
The 2009-10 CRDC was collected from a sample of approximately 7,000 public school districts and over 72,000 public schools. All data is from the 2009-10 school year. Part 1 collected point in time (snap shot) data. Part 2 collected cumulative or end of year data. The school and district level data collected by the CRDC was posted in March, 2013 on the CRDC website at http://ocrdata.ed.gov. On December 23, 2013 the state and national estimations based upon this data were posted at http://ocrdata.ed.gov along with technical notes that provide some caveats and considerations that users should take into account when using the state and national estimations, particularly for items collected for the first time in the 2009-10 school year.
OCR has issued two documents analyzing some of the 2009-10 data:
The Transformed CRDC-March 2012 Data Summary PDF (805K)
Gender Equity in Education-June 2012 PDF (436K)
Data Notes: Gender Equity in Education-June 2012 PDF (208K)
Additional information and the data are available below:
- 2009-10 CRDC Table Layouts with Definitions MS WORD (687K)
- 2009-10 CRDC Questions and Answers
- 2009-10 CRDC Data http://ocrdata.ed.gov
- CRDC Data Notes MS WORD (41K)
For additional information about the CRDC (other than the 2013-14 CRDC), please e-mail us at email@example.com.
For additional information about the 2013-14 CRDC, please e-mail us at CRDC2013firstname.lastname@example.org.