Pay is based on position, level, and geographic location. Entry level professional salaries range from about 22K to 27K (GS5-GS7) annually. In addition, locality pay is provided to offset the cost of living in many areas.
- Vary work hours
- Schedule work for fewer days by increasing hours worked each day
Alternatives are available for working from an alternative work site such as a telecommuting center or your home. Over 20% of ED employees telecommuted during 2000.
Benefits and Perks
- Leave - Enjoy earning between 13 and 26 days of annual leave per year. Accumulate 13 days of sick leave per year to use for care of yourself and family members.
- Health Insurance - A wide selection of health plans are available with no medical pre-certification requirements.
- Life Insurance - ED employees have the option to purchase life insurance and to select from different levels of coverage for the employee and family members.
- Retirement - A secure retirement with investment options.
- Reasonable Accommodation - Assistive technology and resources for people with disabilities are provided to support employees in the performance of their duties.
- Volunteer Activities - The Department will match leave taken to participate in youth, education and community based non-profit volunteer activities (up to 4 hours per pay period).
- Teacher Conferences - The Department provides additional time off to participate in teacher conferences for parents and guardians.
- Transit Benefit and Metro Subsidy - The Department provides a transit benefit of up to $100 a month to all employees who utilize mass transit options as their primary source of transportation.
- Child Care Subsidy - Subsidies for child care provided to lower-income ED employees who enroll one child in an approved child care program.
Ongoing Training and Development/Career Development
The Department of Education houses a world-class training facility offering courses in:
|Access to a number of Undergraduate & Graduate Courses & Certificate Programs|
For questions related to current jobs please contact:
Human Resources Services Central Line
400 Maryland Avenue, SW Suite 1E102
Washington, DC 20202