The EdHires Vacancy Announcement Appendix serves to provide additional information to support Departmental vacancy announcements.
The Appendix reveals the topic areas to support the benefits of working at the Department and provides detailed steps on how to successfully complete the application process.
I. Creating a resume on-line:STEP ONE (On-line Resume):
You must create a user account and at least one Federal resume at USAJOBS. The information you provide in your Federal resume will become part of your application and will automatically be transferred to our system when you apply on-line.
1. Begin the application process by clicking on the [Apply Online] button at the bottom of the announcement.
2. Log into your USAJOBS account (if you are not already logged in) or create one (if you do not have one established).
3. Select the resume you would like to submit and click on [Apply for this position now!]. You will now be automatically transferred to our system where you will complete the application process.
II. Entering Personal InformationSTEP TWO (Personal Information):
1. Once you have been transferred, follow the on-screen prompts to complete your application. Be certain to read the on-screen instructions thoroughly before continuing. First, you will be asked to complete or update your information on file.
2. If you have already been to our site you will have the option to update your information on file or go directly to the assessment. We recommend selecting the option to update your information on file each time you apply. By selecting this option you will be able to verify your data on file is accurate. Additionally, previously faxed supporting documentation is stored within this section and you will be able to review your stored documents and/or print fax cover sheets if you need to submit/re-submit documents.
3. After completing or updating your information, you will be notified of the announcement types you are eligible to apply to. Follow the prompts to move through the website, you will be taken to a page containing a list of fax cover sheets for supporting documents.
III. Faxing Supporting DocumentationSTEP THREE (Faxing Supporting Documentation):
**CURRENT DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION EMPLOYEES DO NOT NEED TO SUBMIT/FAX SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTATION UNLESS SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED BY THE SERVICING HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST**
1. If you have previously faxed supporting documentation the status of those documents will indicate Received. There is no need to resubmit documents which show a status of received unless you are submitting an updated copy.
2. You must use a separate cover sheet for each category of supporting documentation (i.e., transcripts, SF-50, DD-214). Choose the document cover sheet(s) you would like to print by selecting the appropriate check boxes in the Selected Documents column.
3. Click the [Print Cover Sheets] button. A window will pop up containing the fax cover sheet(s) you selected. Print the coversheet (s). NOTE: You must be connected to a printer in order to print the coversheets. Additionally, you must allow pop-ups.
4. Once you have reviewed the list of documents and printed any required fax cover sheets click on [Done]. You will be moved forward in the application process.
5. Before faxing your document(s), take care to ensure the document is legible and all information is complete and signed, if necessary. Fax only documents which are clear and legible. Original documents with light or faded print and/or dark or patterned backgrounds will not be legible upon receipt. Illegible faxed documents cannot be used for qualification or verification purposes.
6. You will receive an e-mail confirming the fax has been successfully received by Human Resources. You should retain your e-mail confirmation and confirmation of your fax transmittal report as proof of submission.
Your application will be considered incomplete and YOU WILL BE FOUND INELIGIBLE if you fail to submit the required documentation as specified under the required documents section by midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
IV. Responding to Vacancy Specific QuestionsSTEP FOUR (Vacancy Specific Questions or KSAs):
1. You will be asked to respond to questions specific to this vacancy. You must respond to all questions in order to save or proceed with the application process.
2. Once you have answered all vacancy questions click on [Finished].
V. Review and submit applicationSTEP FIVE (Review and Submit Application):
1. Review the personal information, core questions, vacancy questions and resume for accuracy and completeness.
2. Once you are satisfied with your application click on [Finished] to submit your application. If you do not click on this final [Finished] button your application will not be submitted and you will not receive consideration.
3. Once you have submitted your application you will be redirected back to USAJOBS where you may view your application status, continue to browse for open positions and/or apply for additional positions. You may return at any time until midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement to update or make changes to your application.
VI. Documents that may be required for submission
- Schedule A Certificate/Letter – Official document authenticating special hiring authority due to a disability.
- Standard Form 50 (Notification of Personnel Action) – Official document from current and former federal employees’ verifying competitive status. The SF-50 must show current position occupied, grade and tenure.
- Department of Defense Form DD-214 – Official document verifying creditable military service.
- Standard Form 15 – Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, to adjudicate individuals' claims for veterans' preference.
- Veterans Administration Letter – Official document verifying total compensable disability based on military service.
- College Transcripts (For Positive Education Required positions and if qualifying based on education and or experience and education.
VIII. Additional information