The mission of the Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships at the U.S. Department of Education is to promote student achievement by connecting schools and community-based organizations, both secular and faith‐based. The Center is part of the White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships, which works to form partnerships between government at all levels and nonprofit organizations, both secular and faith-based, to more effectively serve Americans in need. The office advances this work through Centers and staff at 13 federal agencies across.
The Center's primary goals are to:
- Engage community-based organizations, both secular and faith‐based, in building a culture of high expectations and support for education.
- Develop and support initiatives within the federal government to help maximize the education contributions of community-based organizations, including faith and interfaith organizations.
- Strengthen partnerships between community‐based organizations and schools to help improve the nation's lowest‐achieving schools.
The Center, working with colleagues at the U.S. Department of Education, the White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships and the Corporation for National and Community Service has launched Together for Tomorrow. Together for Tomorrow press release.
Through this effort, we are committed to changing the relationship between schools and community partners, both faith-based and secular, and helping these partners and stakeholders move from education outsiders to education insiders. The initiative will also promote a community culture where education improvement is viewed as everyone's responsibility.
The Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships provides information, webinars, and training materials on the President's Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge and Together for Tomorrow initiatives. To access these materials, click here.
Center for Faith‐based and Neighborhood Partnerships
U.S. Department of Education, Office of the Secretary
400 Maryland Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20202
Voice: (202) 401-1876
FAX: (202) 401-3620
Staff for the Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Reverend Brenda Girton-Mitchell, Director
- Kenneth Bedell, Senior Advisor
- Anna Leach, Confidential Assistant
- Menahem Herman, Management and Program Analyst
- Michael Robbins, Senior Advisor for Nonprofit Partnerships