A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
Archives of Key Policy Letters Signed by the Education Secretary or Deputy Secretary From Previous Administrations (1994 - 1/19/2001)
These archived letters are key policy letters signed by the Education Secretary or Deputy Secretary and are provided by the Office of the Secretary, Executive Secretariat.
Letters from 2000:
Letters from 1999:
- November 8, 1999 -- Letter to Conferees on the "Work Incentives Improvement Act of 1999" regarding provisions related to student loans
- October 14, 1999 -- Letter to Congressman Richard E. Neal Concerning Accreditation Standards Used by the American Bar Association
- October 6, 1999 -- Letter to Congress on H.R. 2300, the "Academic Achievement for All Act (Straight A's Act)."
- October 5, 1999 -- Letter to Congress on the "Students Results Act of 1999," the pending substitute for H.R. 2, relating to elementary and secondary education
- September 15, 1999 -- Required Reports by States and Institutions of Higher Education regarding Teacher Preparation Programs -- Section 207, Title II, Higher Education Amendments of 1998
- September 13, 1999 -- Inquiry Concerning Use of Department of Education Letterhead by Collection Agencies
- August 24, 1999 -- Letter to selected Members regarding the Secretary's views on two juvenile crime bills passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate, respectively, H.R. 1501, the ?Juvenile Justice Reform Act of 1999? and S. 254, the ?Violent and Repeat Juvenile Offender Accountability and Rehabilitation Act of 1999.?
- August 16, 1999 -- Letter to Nancy Safer, Council for Exceptional Children, Robert Chase, National Education Association, Sandra Feldman, American Federation of Teachers, Dr. Jonathan McIntire and Dr. Judy Montgomery, Council of Administrators of Special Education, and others regarding a section of the 20th Annual Report to Congress on IDEA on general education and special education teachers.
- July 19, 1999 -- Letter to Senator Fred Thompson Regarding Discharge of Student Loans Due to Death or Disability.
- July 15, 1999 -- Letter to Gordon Ambach, Executive Director of the Council of Chief State School Officers, on Notification of State Education Agencies Regarding New or Revised Data Collection Requirements
- June 30, 1999 -- Letter to Congress on Teacher Professional Development legislation
- June 23, 1999 -- Letters to Patricia Loera and Roberto Rodriguez, Co-Chairs of the Hispanic Education Coalition, on the treatment of limited English proficient students in the Department's proposal to reauthorize the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
- May 14, 1999 -- Letter to Honorable Thomas J. Vilsack, Governor of Iowa, on the U.S. Supreme Court Decision on Cedar Rapids Community School District v. Garret F and Full Funding of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- April 9, 1999 -- Default Aversion Fees Paid to Guaranty Agencies
- March 26, 1999 -- Letter to State Superintendent on Subsidy for Qualified Zone Academy Bonds (QZABs)
- March 11, 1999 -- Department to Use Census Bureau 1995 Estimates to Allocate Title I, Part A Funds for School Year 1999-2000
- March 3, 1999 -- Letter to Congress on Ed-Flex legislation and class size reduction
- January 28, 1999 -- Guidance to Colleges and Universities Regarding Sexual Harassment
This page last updated January 23, 2000 (pjk)